• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Warrington Town v Exeter City Prediction Thread

motorservices

I would rather be playing a FL team.

Playing non-league sides that have nothing to lose is always risky. They are not expected to win, they are expected to lose. Thus there is no pressure on them at all. The Football League side is expected to win, thus all the pressure is on them. Because of this, this game will be no pushover. City must take this game with the utmost respect for their opponents, they didn't get this far by luck they got here on merit.

If we play it professionally and play like we know we can, then the correct result should be forthcoming. Under estimating them will be dangerous, being complacent could be fatal.

With our away form, all things being equal we should be in the hat for round two, shouldn't we?
Agree with that, thing is we wont be putting out our seconds, we will hopefully play the side that played yesterday, we should be in the second round, but if we draw then the chance of the replay live on TV could make us a bucket load

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
You make valid points about not being complacent but if playing a league side there is risk of losing and you have to be up for it also. We will either deal with the pressure of being over whelming favourites or we won't. Playing league sides hasn't worked out well for us in the cup recently so give me non league any day. For every upset we have probably succeeded at least twice.

You make valid points about not being complacent but if playing a league side there is risk of losing and you have to be up for it also. We will either deal with the pressure of being over whelming favourites or we won't. Playing league sides hasn't worked out well for us in the cup recently so give me non league any day. For every upset we have probably succeeded at least twice.
Of course there is a risk of losing against a FL side, but there are some occasions when doing so you are not expected to win. However, when a FL team is playing a non-league team the FL team is expected to win everytime. When they don't it provides the headlines of "Giant Killers". That was the point I was making in preferring a FL team. The expectation is much lower.

Last edited:

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Despite recent cup form against non-league away and the fact its on TV surely we cannot lose this :(
I go 2-0 City

STURTZ

After pre match comments from Reid I'm expecting Warrington to mess the pitch up, overwater it a la Clough at Derby in the 70s. Great leveller a boggy pitch.

Think we'll be up for it this time though, we really really need to win it!

Overcome an early shock and win 4:1.

Second round.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
They will do everything the can to make it a leveller and who can blame them

They will fancy there chances & rightly so

Nigel E

After pre match comments from Reid I'm expecting Warrington to mess the pitch up, overwater it a la Clough at Derby in the 70s. Great leveller a boggy pitch.
Well if they do that, the game will be postponed and we'll both be 67 grand poorer. Have seen the long range weather forecast, and high winds and lashing rain are currently predicted for Friday.

STURTZ

Well if they do that, the game will be postponed and we'll both be 67 grand poorer. Have seen the long range weather forecast, and high winds and lashing rain are currently predicted for Friday.
Can't see these apocalyptic conditions on my forecast, but even were they to happen the TV has a way of making sure the game goes ahead, don't worry!

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Of course there is a risk of losing against a FL side, but there are some occasions when doing so you are not expected to win. However, when a FL team is playing a non-league team the FL team is expected to win everytime. When they don't it provides the headlines of "Giant Killers". That was the point I was making in preferring a FL team. The expectation is much lower.
I understood what you posted just didn't agree with it. last f a cup game we won was v Nuneaton four nil and the gap between us and warrington is greater than that gap. You are right that the expectation is much lower playing a league side but the success rate of us winning such games recently is also much lower. If it goes wrong it is much worse losing to a non league side as it is embarrassing, but if we drew the likes of warrington every fa cup first round we should be winning far more often than not imo and that's why I would always prefer to play the lower ranked side.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2634739

warrington weather doesn't look too worrying according to this forecast.

Last edited:
I understood what you posted just didn't agree with it.
"didn't agree with it"? I didn't say that we would be better off playing a FL side, had I done so I could understand others disagreeing with that view.

What I said was that I'd prefer (my personal preference) to be playing a FL club and I went onto state why I personally preferred to play a FL side. There is nothing to agree or disagree with.

You have a different preference to mine, it's not an argument, just difference in preferences.

Bloody hell Richard I am aware that you admit to being arguementive, but you could cause an arguement in an empty room.