• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Wheeler

flakey pasty

Most people seem to start on the left and land up on the right.

More seriously, he comes across as thoughtful and decent, a real Proper Chap. There have been only a handful of high profile graduate footballers over the years, notable Steve Heighway and Steve Coppell. Also Iain Dowie and Graeme Le Saux.

Anyone know who is the other current FL player who is a graduate? Richard Hinds is now ex-Bury, didn't feature for them on Saturday.
Who was that little Scots guy who played for Chelsea who had the **** taken out of him for reading The Guardian?

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Who was that little Scots guy who played for Chelsea who had the **** taken out of him for reading The Guardian?
Pat Nevin?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Le Saux, but he wasn't Scottish - from Jersey, England international.

http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/1999/may/15/weekend7.weekend

Grecian2K

Although Le Saux was the reputed Grauniard reader it would appear that he dropped out of his Environmental Studies course at Kingston Uni before completing his degree.

Whereas Pat Nevin does seem to have completed his degree course at Glasgow Caledonian Uni in Arts.

But surely the highest accolade must go to SHAKA HISLOP who, although not a Chelsea player (or Guardian reader as far as I know) graduated from Howard Uni in the USA on a NASA internship with honours, thus perhaps proving dear old Pate right after all - the dark art of top notch glovesmanship may really be 'rocket science' after all!

flakey pasty

Pat Nevin?
That's the guy. Thanks G2k - been trying to think of the blighter's name all week ......

LOG

Sorry to bring this up again but we were talking about Wheeler and his lack of game time on the way back from Newport.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Much as i like him and that he seems to bring a bit of pace and energy to the side, it's difficult to know where his best position is. I guess that without a decent run in the side we're unlikely to find out but, from his limited minutes on the pitch, there have been several recent occasions when you'd be forgiven for forgetting that he was even there.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Tisdale said that whenever he was fully fit he has started so either that was incorrect or he wasn't fully fit on sunday.

He didn't have a great game at Warrington but he wasn't on his own. I would like to see him in the side but also think that Cummins and Nichols should play together for a run of matches, will we go with all three of them?

manc grecian

Sorry to bring this up again but we were talking about Wheeler and his lack of game time on the way back from Newport.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Much as i like him and that he seems to bring a bit of pace and energy to the side, it's difficult to know where his best position is. I guess that without a decent run in the side we're unlikely to find out but, from his limited minutes on the pitch, there have been several recent occasions when you'd be forgiven for forgetting that he was even there.
He's a wide right player. He's struggled when he's been up front because the team's we've played have defended so deep and left no space to use his pace. He's at his best with his ball at his feet facing the full back and having a run.

I'd like to see him played wide right with Ribiero at RB overlapping. This won't happen though as we have no left sided midfielder. With the 4-3-1-2 or 3-5-2 we've been playing its difficult to see where he fits in.

grecIAN Harris

He's a wide right player. He's struggled when he's been up front because the team's we've played have defended so deep and left no space to use his pace. He's at his best with his ball at his feet facing the full back and having a run.
I'd like to see him played wide right with Ribiero at RB overlapping. This won't happen though as we have no left sided midfielder. With the 4-3-1-2 or 3-5-2 we've been playing its difficult to see where he fits in.
Spot on Manc.

LOG

I think you be right.

We looked, in me humble opinion, at our most likely on Sunday when Ribeiro was getting forwards, and it wasn't the only game where that was the case since he got himself match fit. Meanwhile, in midfield, we had 4 central players having to spread themselves out across the pitch but not really offering much back-up. To have the two of them potentially getting forward whilst covering each other at the same time should be very effective.

Over on the left, however, we could have Woodman and Davies which doesn't really fill me with the same level of expectation.