• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Wheeler

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tisdale said that whenever he was fully fit he has started so either that was incorrect or he wasn't fully fit on sunday
Well, it wasn't incorrect when Tisdale said it.

Red Monster

Tisdale said that whenever he was fully fit he has started so either that was incorrect or he wasn't fully fit on sunday.

He didn't have a great game at Warrington but he wasn't on his own. I would like to see him in the side but also think that Cummins and Nichols should play together for a run of matches, will we go with all three of them?
That doesn't mean he can never be left out does it ?

Well-known Exeweb poster
ATM imo wheelers a defo starter if fit, will that change? who knows, i suppose it could depend on nich's form ?

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nice to have a bit of competition for places as our season is warming up nicely

wemissmoxey

ATM imo wheelers a defo starter if fit, will that change? who knows, i suppose it could depend on nich's form ?
I reckon Tisdale dropped him for the Newport game and to be fair you cannot argue with that decision simply because Nichols and Cummins did very well, Wheeler was non existent at Warrington and I thought he was pretty quiet against Luton.

If Tisdale is going to continue with Cummins and Nichols I don't think he will fit Wheeler into the eleven, saying that if Bennett isn't fit on Saturday perhaps Wheeler will come back into the reckoning in his more natural position wide on the right with Sercombe having to do a job on the left hand side as part of a 4 - 4 - 2.

I'm a massive fan of Wheeler as I like the things he brings to the table, pace, energy and direct running however I have been disappointed with his development since he arrived, physically he seems to have developed however his all round game hasn't. If we are going to get the best out of someone like Wheeler we need to allow him some freedom to do what he does best, he is a positive player who is at his best when he is being direct, he seems to have gone into his shell a bit which is a real shame.

I really hope we get the best out of him as he has so much to offer.

Last edited:

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
That doesn't mean he can never be left out does it ?
Nope third option would be dropped, as I said he didn't do well at warrington but not on his own there.

On the up

He's a wide right player. He's struggled when he's been up front because the team's we've played have defended so deep and left no space to use his pace. He's at his best with his ball at his feet facing the full back and having a run.

I'd like to see him played wide right with Ribiero at RB overlapping. This won't happen though as we have no left sided midfielder. With the 4-3-1-2 or 3-5-2 we've been playing its difficult to see where he fits in.
Spot on. However wheeler has had difficultly effecting the 90 mins and tends to start well but fade badly as the game goes on. At times he is totally absent in the second half. Pity as when he's running at players and heading over fullbacks he's can be very effective. As others have stated its our left flank that appears a bit slow and doesn't generally trouble the opposition. Still team is progressing well a few top ups in January might make all the difference.

iscalad

Spot on. However wheeler has had difficultly effecting the 90 mins and tends to start well but fade badly as the game goes on. At times he is totally absent in the second half. Pity as when he's running at players and heading over fullbacks he's can be very effective. As others have stated its our left flank that appears a bit slow and doesn't generally trouble the opposition. Still team is progressing well a few top ups in January might make all the difference.
I agree with most of this post. Wheeler does not seem able to keep his high energy going for 90 minutes. Don't hold your breath for anything happening in January.

Well-known Exeweb poster
he hasnt missed any games so i reckon he's still 'managing' that groin injury, eventually he will either need an op or some time out. but the injury has to be affecting his play and the game time tis is giving him, well tis has said it has ,,