• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Stuart James... Today's WMN

David Treharne

Reading between the lines of the former Chairman's reply above, think we can safely assume pre-2006 there were no minimum performance targets/regular appraisal of the manager in place.
Unlikely to have been brought in post-2006, Norrie was focused on off-field affairs, so who would dare to introduce them now?
I think it's true to say from the point of view of the "non-football" Directors there were no "minimum performance targets" other than, at least during the first season, simply surviving as a Football Cub. In fairness to Eamon one of his real strengths was his willingness to discuss with us the difficulties that he faced. It was during this time that the Club entered the C.V.A. so the constraints that we faced were the strictures placed upon us by the person appointed to guide us through it - and his thoughts were purely financial rather anything that happened on the pitch, except to the extent that attendances were maintained.
After this time all the attempts that were made to impose "regular appraisal" of anyone within the group running the Club on a day-to-day basis were rebuffed - by the group running the Club on a day-to-day basis. Similarly attempts to introduce job descriptions were also rebuffed.
As to the "who would dare to introduce them now" bit of the question, it's a moot point. One of the obstacles to doing this is that all the Trustees have other (often full-time) jobs, and it would require the employment of someone completely uninvolved with the Club to prepare job descriptions and evaluate performance. Theoretically the Trust should have the power to employ someone in that role, but with all the other events that are taking place around the Club I doubt that there would be sufficient impetus to rock the boat in a way that might endanger some of the other matters that bubbling away around the Club and the ground.

On the up

Well said Stuart James, take a bow.

Now we collectively need to keep the pressure on the club to enforce change. And by change I mean exciting, attacking home football that wins games. If Tisdale can deliver, fair enough, but if not the club now have the funds to act.
An alternative view always adds to any thread.

I've seen lots of exciting games this season. Often gone home without a voice after cheering along with lots of other fans. Examples being Daggers, Tramere and Accies away, bury, Shrewsbury, Luton and wycombe home. Even Portsmouth away was exciting.

I'm just as frustrated by the insistence of playing without a CB all season hard to believe really. Also playing so many players out of position and picking teams with no pace has been difficult to take. It's such a pity a couple of changes / additions and we could have got promoted this season.
However at the start of the year this forum was generally of a view we were going to finish bottom of league two. Since November we've been sitting just of the playoffs and now moving to Mid table. Not bad really.
At the start of the season we were skint and worked under a transfer embargo, now we have cash in the bank. Change for the better?

If I'd score the "overall" success this year it's probably 6/10. Could do better. As stated not happy because we could have had a 9/10 season if some different decisions were made and the reliance on the old guard was diluted.

Just some food for thought I'll go put on my hard hat & PPE.

Last edited:

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Stuart is a nice lad & is nailed on in what he's written

The home form is dire & the lack of entertainment worse

The 5 home games in 2015 against Accrington , Northampton , Cambridge , Tranmere & Argyle have seen us gain 1 point and that was after being 2-0 down

It's not good enough

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
FFS ..This is a football forum, not some PC namby-pamby left wing forum discussing next year's environmental policy. Get over it.
The idea that masculinity is somehow akin to having courage is just plain thick. That's why I don't like it.

ECFC Music

So it's good for WMN to drag up a story from Exeweb but not The E&E? Whilst I am more than aware that one time Exewebber Forever 7 has some very valid points in his story it's ironic that he is getting lauded for it on here because it is the same tune that 'the moaners' are singing. I've noted the thread slating The Echo which begs a question, is Stuart James writing from the heart or is just trying to be cute to up his own readership based on the back of an Exeweb thread which, as I suggested earlier, The E&E gets slated for time and again. Is it possible that certain Exeweb members want their cake and be able to eat it just because it suits?
Forget whether stories are filched from elsewhere or whether personal kudos are involved,quite frankly i don't care . The point is coverage like this adds to the pressure for change so don't knock it.

red1

At last ! A journalist that has dared to question the "master". It is totally baffling to me as to why he continues to play players out of position and then change formation 4 or 5 times (sometimes more) in a game.
Mr Sheridan from them down the road was quoted a few weeks ago saying that he wished people would have more patience with his players, they are league 2 players for a reason,and that consistency will always be a problem. So Mr Tisdale expects HIS league 2 players to not only perform consistently in positions that are not their natural position but to also keep changing formation as well !
I think Mr Tisdale was taught a lesson on Saturday in more ways than one, by a manager who understands the limitations of of his players and gets them to play to their strengths.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
So it's good for WMN to drag up a story from Exeweb but not The E&E? Whilst I am more than aware that one time Exewebber Forever 7 has some very valid points in his story it's ironic that he is getting lauded for it on here because it is the same tune that 'the moaners' are singing. I've noted the thread slating The Echo which begs a question, is Stuart James writing from the heart or is just trying to be cute to up his own readership based on the back of an Exeweb thread which, as I suggested earlier, The E&E gets slated for time and again. Is it possible that certain Exeweb members want their cake and be able to eat it just because it suits?
The point is more that it's just good journalism, however it was conceived. The piece asks valid questions and it is normal for local newspapers to apply some pressure on a manager when they don't get results. The piece focuses on home form, relying on facts to back up its arguments. It is not a rant that you would see on here and it isn't saying Tis must go, it is simply reflecting the situation as many see it. As such, it is possible for someone like me as a Tis supporter to read it and agree with its main points. It is very different from, say, someone screaming abuse at the manager from the stands during a home game, and far more of a statement as a result.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
... it's ironic that he is getting lauded for it on here ...
Indeed. Particularly as it wasn't so long ago, if memory serves, he was being ripped to shreds on here for his articles. My personal view is that he's always well worth reading. A proper sports journalist. (y)

WXF

FFS ..This is a football forum, not some PC namby-pamby left wing forum discussing next year's environmental policy. Get over it.
Leave David Wheeler alone!

mdg

Good comments by the writer, he is saying what we have all been saying for months/years - will it change anything? doubt it, Tagg and his cohorts won't have the stomach for it!!!