• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Cambridge United (H) EFL D2 Match Day Thread

sidney

Awful first half, but much better second. Aaron Martin and Parkes very impressive throughout: they won everything in the air, which mitigated the Cambridge threat. I had an excellent view of the Cambridge penalty shout, and it certainly was not a penalty. I understand the issue with Richardson playing on the left, but I thought he did ok. He is very quick. Pleased for Bowman - I like him.

Legohead

Banned
Were there more than 10 Cambridge fans on the day?

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Were there more than 10 Cambridge fans on the day?
Not a great deal more(86 iirc)

Can’t blame ‘em not turning up.
They are on a bad run & it’s a awful journey as we well know after doing it twice in the space of 3 weeks last Oct/Nov

geoffwp

It was great that Ben Chrisene had some minutes with the first team in a proper competitive league game. What a birthday present for the lad. I did wonder about it though, what perhaps the reasoning behind it might be other than simply introducing him to league football. Obviously this lad is at a poachable age, similar to Jay Stansfield. Is he being seen as the next golden nugget from the academy mine? If so, would ensuring that he has played for the first team be a way of trying to protect the clubs interest should a club higher up the food chain start taking an interest before we can get him to sign a professional contract? Would that even make any difference?

IndoMike

It was great that Ben Chrisene had some minutes with the first team in a proper competitive league game. What a birthday present for the lad. I did wonder about it though, what perhaps the reasoning behind it might be other than simply introducing him to league football. Obviously this lad is at a poachable age, similar to Jay Stansfield. Is he being seen as the next golden nugget from the academy mine? If so, would ensuring that he has played for the first team be a way of trying to protect the clubs interest should a club higher up the food chain start taking an interest before we can get him to sign a professional contract? Would that even make any difference?
You'd guess this would go the same way as it did with Ampadu, but at least hopefully with a club more appreciative and generous than Cheesy.

geoffwp

You'd guess this would go the same way as it did with Ampadu, but at least hopefully with a club more appreciative and generous than Cheesy.
I really dont know. I'm aware that I know very little to nothing about how the system works regarding youngsters. When they can sign professional forms (18??) , what safeguards a club has if any regarding players younger than that etc. All I know is we've had our fingers kind of burnt a couple of times but assume there is little we can do as a club with regard to this.

Grecian2K

I fear that the bloated plutocrats and oligarchs of the (so-called) "Premier" League probably already have their evil, beady eyes firmly fixed on any up and coming junior talent.

budegrecian

Taylor had a little dig about Chrisene spending so much time away on trials with bigger clubs in his post match interview. Said if he wants to play in the first team he needs to spend more time training with the first team, or words to that effect.
I guess this is a difficult one to balance; we want to keep him long enough to ensure we get at least some decent recompense. Although we got shafted by Chelsea, we still got a lot more for Amps than we did for Jay Stansfield.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree that Richardson hasn't made a great start in that position, but he does need to be given a chance. Some on here would have dropped Sweeney, Bowman and others during the season but the manager's judgment has proved correct on those.

Every single other League Two club will be looking at Randell Williams and coveting him. He may end up as the best player in the division at the end of the season, definitely in his position anyway. I still fail to see how he is being played "out of position" every week and this still be the case. Every single game he does something that leads to a big chance being created. His link up play with Collins and Sweeney yesterday was brilliant second half. By the way, I thought Archie was superb at times yesterday and was a close second to Parkes for MoM.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
You would assume that the fact Ben has already played first-team football would increase any compensation we would receive but it's not clear that that would necessarily be the case. The Ampadu tribunal appeared to pluck a figure out of the air with little explanation given for how they came up with it.