• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Away end collapsed

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."

Donald Rumsfeld
Typical Rumsfeld stealing his lines from Moxers

Antony Moxey

Anything from the Club yet?
Such as? Perhaps something along the lines of: 'we've been and had a look and can confirm that a section of wall has collapsed and that there's some mud on the road and path. We can't get anyone to have a proper look as when it happened we were all stuck in Rotherham and today is Sunday so no-one's available until tomorrow to tell us what needs to be done.'

StroudGrecian

Such as? Perhaps something along the lines of: 'we've been and had a look and can confirm that a section of wall has collapsed and that there's some mud on the road and path. We can't get anyone to have a proper look as when it happened we were all stuck in Rotherham and today is Sunday so no-one's available until tomorrow to tell us what needs to be done.'
Wow. I hope you applied for that Communications Officer job that was going Tony - you're a natural!

Reggie T42

Cannot Be Serious Cottage, Backside of Beyond, Dev
Yes this wall collapse is quite small in real terms. However the wall further down holds up a lot more and it too could so easily suffer the same fate with far more serious consequences (this latest event could also have had a more serious outcome). I really do think that ECFC have to realise that two sides of the ground are in need of refurbishment or rebuild but have tried to be over ambitious wanting more than is required with the last plans. If someone does not get it together sooner or later the very poor parts of the ground are going to gradually fall around our heads. SJP now refers to St James Patchup!! There really does need a great deal of urgent thought put into this because if something more serious happens, which is becoming more likely, the football element will certainly take second place. And I wish one or two of you would stop being so childish with your arguments. A young women with a child in a pushchair could have been so easily walking by at the very moment that wall collapsed!!!!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

That would have done!

Langer

Uri Geller earth cystals planted behind the goal have finally made there way out :)

FAN-TATIC

As the collapsed section is between what was the retaining wall and the away end terracing, I can see this area being tidied up and left until the close of this season before any major remedial work is carried out.

The only thing that would prevent this is if inspections by qualified engineers identified potential Health and Safety problems, both inside or outside of the stadium. The away end itself could be closed until the end of this season, with only Cheltenham and a possible play-off match causing any capacity considerations.

I think that the most that will be done is that the entire length of the retaining wall will be demolished and rebuilt. Funded by insurance payouts and hopefully some financial help from ECC.

Antony Moxey

That would have done!
You don't really need the club to officially tell you the bleedin' obvious do you?

FAN-TATIC

I know we weren't even allowed to go close to get a pic :(
Really, I went there at 11:40am on Saturday morning and I took 5 or 6 photos. I was stood within a yard of the police "do not cross this line" tape and no one took any action to move me further away. They just let me get on with it.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
You don't really need the club to officially tell you the bleedin' obvious do you?
Apparently, according to Julian Tagg, "It never rains but it pours". http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/Exeter-City-wall-collapse-won-t-affect-Rochdale/story-18509953-detail/story.html