• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Bristol Rovers match day thread

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
The strikers might have had something had Niskanen not had such a stinker. I couldn't tell you how many times he had the ball on either side of the pitch but he did absolutely nothing with it, other than lose it. I doubt he'll ever have as poor a game in his life.
Did Niskanen beat his man once? Felt for him come the end, he probably would have wanted to come off...

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
The strikers might have had something had Niskanen not had such a stinker. I couldn't tell you how many times he had the ball on either side of the pitch but he did absolutely nothing with it, other than lose it. I doubt he'll ever have as poor a game in his life.
Didn't see the game, but the most obvious consensus from those who did is that Niskanen had a stinker.

Any idea why GC didn't sub him off? I really do hope it wasn't just because his Finnish mates had come over to watch...

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Didn't see the game, but the most obvious consensus from those who did is that Niskanen had a stinker.

Any idea why GC didn't sub him off? I really do hope it wasn't just because his Finnish mates had come over to watch...
I don't think I've seen a player play so badly and not get hauled off.

When Harris was stood on the touchline about to come on, I noticed Niskanen was edging towards that side of the pitch, almost presuming he was going to be the one to be replaced.

Average Joe

Cureton took 3 chances to net 1, contrary to belief.
Curo missed some sitters. That one against Argyle. Clear 1v1.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster

I think the reasoning would have been that Harper is coming back after a lengthy injury and probably was only going to play 70 minutes. Then not long after, Rankine started stretching out his hamstring and was subsequently taken off. It left Ilmari as the only wide player left really along with Yan coming on.

arthur

What happened on Saturday was that the little triangles we play in midfield prior to advancing into the final third (which irritate people so much) didn't happen because Rovers forbade them by dominating that part of the pitch.

So we were reduced to hoofing long balls from lcb to lwb and rcb to rwb. That the rwb was having a stinker (other derogatory descriptions of his performance are available) just made matters worse.

If Caldwellball is going to work, we need much more bite in midfield. I am assuming this is why we have invested in Cummings but something needs to be done before tomorrow.

Larry Wilkie

What happened on Saturday was that the little triangles we play in midfield prior to advancing into the final third (which irritate people so much) didn't happen because Rovers forbade them by dominating that part of the pitch.

So we were reduced to hoofing long balls from lcb to lwb and rcb to rwb. That the rwb was having a stinker (other derogatory descriptions of his performance are available) just made matters worse.

If Caldwellball is going to work, we need much more bite in midfield. I am assuming this is why we have invested in Cummings but something needs to be done before tomorrow.
Hopefully Harris is fit enough to start. He offers that for us.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
in the games i’ve seen this season - no disrespect to the lad but all i’ve seen him do is run around a lot.

can’t knock his work rate , but how many has he scored or assisted from a wide area? i can’t remember many

Memphis09

Agree. Sonny is still not league 1 standard. Very disappointing loss today.
Don’t agree about sweeney
Cole should of crossed for Cox to score Still not convinced about Cole think he is still work in progress and will be better for a season in league one
Diabete had a poor game today

Memphis09

When we moved it quick looked alright. Rankine/Harper good, Diabate good.

like Max/Manc say really want to feel the love for Caldwell, but too often we’re so pedestrian.

On another day a draw of the wind was right behind Vinny’s great shot, and Cole’s free kick is another two inches
Diabete passing was absolutely shocking today