• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Little things that annoy you

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
This borders on the dire, but that thread is now closed.

There is talk that a lot of young people don't know what D Day is. That's fine with me - if I were familiar with military operations sixty years before I was born I would need a working knowledge of the Boer War.

But this morning on the Broadcasting House (R4) press review they were discussing D Day. One of the reviewers was one Kate Ferguson who is, apparently, the Political Editor of The Sun on Sunday. What made D Day special, she told us, was the particular Britishness of it all, particularly all the people in small boats who went over to France..... The presenter tried to rescue the situation by insisting that by small boats she meant landing craft, but to no avail, she just ploughed on with her rhapsodic evocation of the Dunkirk evacuation. This annoyed me...

I think Kate Ferguson is probably a young person
Jeeze... You’d have thought the person in question would have done just a little bit of homework.

Political Edition of The Beano would be a more appropriate role 😎

Oldsmobile-88

Reminds me a bit of a quiz question on general knowledge a few years back which was on a radio show.
“ Name the commander of British Forces on the Western Front during The Great War” For the contestant unless they had a interest in that era perhaps a little tricky.

The answer given by the lady in question was “General Adolf Hitler”. 😁
Perhaps it’s the same person mentioned above.

Alistair20000

This borders on the dire, but that thread is now closed.

There is talk that a lot of young people don't know what D Day is. That's fine with me - if I were familiar with military operations sixty years before I was born I would need a working knowledge of the Boer War.

But this morning on the Broadcasting House (R4) press review they were discussing D Day. One of the reviewers was one Kate Ferguson who is, apparently, the Political Editor of The Sun on Sunday. What made D Day special, she told us, was the particular Britishness of it all, particularly all the people in small boats who went over to France..... The presenter tried to rescue the situation by insisting that by small boats she meant landing craft, but to no avail, she just ploughed on with her rhapsodic evocation of the Dunkirk evacuation. This annoyed me...

Feckin’ dire :mad:

Reactions: DB9

Stelios

She‘s often on the radio. Her lack of knowledge is a feature, not a bug. And people wonder why the ‘general public’ are so ill-informed on so many issues :rolleyes:

She’ll apologise on Twitter saying she was exhausted etc. Everyone in the press will rally round and back her. Then the story will be about the vile ‘trolls’ attacking her. Regular as clockwork. Rinse and repeat

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
David Potts . . . . I dont know whether its his very annoying voice or just the outfits he wears.

I knew as soon as he won the BB thing his face would be plastered back on the tv when I was just thinking it's nice not to have to listen / see it anywhere.

OmanGrecian

OmanAir changing flight schedules without informing you unless you log on to app and see the changes by chance.

Was booked back from Zanzibar on 31 Jul. This then got changed to 2 Aug. Only noticed when logged on, and they hadn't thought to change the follow on leg from Muscat to Heathrow, which was still showing as 31 Jul. All got amended following a phone call, so we had a few extra days now in Zanzibar.

Logged on last Saturday, Zanzibar to Muscat now 6 Aug and Muscat to Heathrow 2 Aug. Ahhhhhhh. No communication from the airline.

Couldn't extend to 6 Aug with work commitments, so now flying back on 1 Aug.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
So the LTN's have finally been scrapped by majority of 82% lets see how long it takes the council to actually remove them and how much this has cost the working people of Exeter to implement and remove !

Whoever actioned this should be held accountable and either removed from office or have deductions from their wages to a certain degree.
If I were to muck up having been told it was wrong beforehand by that amount of money I'm sure my old boss would be looking to recoup something.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
We all know where the pot holes are by now, we know where you can avoid crunching into one by getting in close to the side of the road. We know where the big buggers are and when you need to slow right down to crawling speed so you don't drop head first down the deep ones. So why is it when there's a big one on the left and you have to move over towards the other side of the road there's always a bloody great truck coming the other way?

fred binneys head

The relatively recent issue of football matches kicking off by passing the ball back to the keeper, the striker sprinting towards the keeper to try and block the kick and the defenders literally blocking them off like American Football linebackers - it’s a joke, why don’t the referees give free kicks for obstruction?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
ECC once again with their barriers (LTNS) when people removed the metal posts dividing communities the council were there within a couple of hours to replace them , How come the council cant remove them as quickly !

Tried asking the council twice now to find out when they are being removed and just get told they will be removed as soon as is possible.

NOT good enough ECC get it done.