• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - sacked by Rotherham & employed by Bristol Rovers

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
That shows what googling does for you.....🤪 especially when the story I was reading was five years old when I opened it although that does fly against your capacity figure though. Or has re-development reduced the capacity since then?
You got any possession stats for Bath rugby? ;)

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
You got any possession stats for Bath rugby? ;)
Sometimes they keep it long enough to score a try????

Grecianpasty

I’m wonder what MT has been asked to achieve/targets for the end of this season and going forward?

I would guess this season to finish as high as he can and next season look for a promotion push via the playoffs.

Where do Rovers sit with, regards to their budget vs other L1 clubs? They seem to be a mid table team with a large-ish budget, a few ex Prem/Champ players won’t come cheap.
The expectation was to get them in the play offs. I'd be surprised if Taylor lasts more than one season.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
If he is sacked before the end of the season that really would be ridiculous. Are Rovers some sort of Westcountry Watford?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
The expectation was to get them in the play offs. I'd be surprised if Taylor lasts more than one season.
They aren't good enough for the playoffs and they will need a rebuild in the summer. You would think at point of appointing MT, they would have had at least a season n half plan for him, bar completely disastrous form

Red Bill

It's potential is limited by it's ground size not to mention they're competing for their share of those figures not only with their foes from Ashton Gate but also the Premiership egg chasers based at Ashton Gate and also Bath both averaging over 18000 last season. Rovers capacity is 8k short of that figure.
With the new south stand I believe their capacity will be 12500. Plus there is talk of redeveloping the east stand, replacing it with a 2 teir stand that runs the full length of the pitch. I would imagine that would take their capacity to about 15-16000.
Having lived and worked in Bristol for 15 years, if I knew nothing about football, I think I would have assumed that Rovers were the bigger team as I seem to meet far more gasheads than city fans. Plus they have a big fan base in Bath from their time playing at Twerton.
I think if Rovers got themselves into the championship again, they would have no trouble filling any stadium they could build on the site.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
You could certainly be right about the Clark Harris situation, but their budget is still top 6. They did still break their transfer record though this January to sign the lad from Grimsby for a reported 500K. I doubt in my lifetime I'll ever see City spend that amount of money ;)
Rovers strike me as the sort of club that think spending a lot of money will automatically lead to success but put little effort into running the club properly or using money efficiently.

tea stand

I live in Bristol and have done for over 30 years, I have watched rovers more times than Exeter. They certainly have a big fan base and excellent away support. As for budgets I dont think they they are in the top 6 despite what the board may hint at. Dont think the fans believe that either. On the whole, most rovers fans have realistic attitude about their league status and are generally much more patient with progress than red side of Bristol. The fans are still in some sort of civil war with each other over Barton and the legacy of certain players in the squad. The whole JCH deal or no deal still divides opinion and there is a lot of speculation that the current owners may not be as cash indulgent as was once expected. Their results have been extremes beating Portsmouth,Oxford and us but also losing to Fleetwood, Burton and Us! Think the fans will give Taylor time to sort out the players that need to move on. There are a few who think Taylor is dull and clueless, there's also a few that think anything connected to Exeter is cursed!

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I live in Bristol and have done for over 30 years, I have watched rovers more times than Exeter. They certainly have a big fan base and excellent away support. As for budgets I dont think they they are in the top 6 despite what the board may hint at. Dont think the fans believe that either. On the whole, most rovers fans have realistic attitude about their league status and are generally much more patient with progress than red side of Bristol. The fans are still in some sort of civil war with each other over Barton and the legacy of certain players in the squad. The whole JCH deal or no deal still divides opinion and there is a lot of speculation that the current owners may not be as cash indulgent as was once expected. Their results have been extremes beating Portsmouth,Oxford and us but also losing to Fleetwood, Burton and Us! Think the fans will give Taylor time to sort out the players that need to move on. There are a few who think Taylor is dull and clueless, there's also a few that think anything connected to Exeter is cursed!
I'm not sure why the board would hint at having a top 6 budget if they didn't have one? Surely you're just setting the expectation level too high and asking for trouble.

tom_ecfc

I’m wonder what MT has been asked to achieve/targets for the end of this season and going forward?

I would guess this season to finish as high as he can and next season look for a promotion push via the playoffs.

Where do Rovers sit with, regards to their budget vs other L1 clubs? They seem to be a mid table team with a large-ish budget, a few ex Prem/Champ players won’t come cheap.
It was nice of the Bristol Rovers owner to address my message within a day! 🤣