• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obama Inaugration

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
I cant remember his name but in the 1960's there was a white senator of a Southern state who campaigned on total segregation in all walks of life and got the local police to fire on civil rights campaigners and forcibly tried to stop black children going to a white school.
It was Little Rock, Arkansas.

Incidently, I remember a time when the British army shot at civil rights campaigners in N.I. Times move on though innit.

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
what he can do over the next 4 years (it won't cost money, so it is possible) is to help american attitudes change.
That began today with his condemnation of the Bush administration's willingness to trade values for expediency (rendition, torture, etc); & his powerful expression of a new US multi-lateralism.

Felt like America just started to grow up after 8 years of infantilism

Grecian_Harryj

Thought his speech was excellent just after he took the oath around 5;15, ( english time).

Last edited:

DB9

Incidently, I remember a time when the British army shot at civil rights campaigners in N.I. Times move on though innit.
The best recruitment campaign for the IRA when that sad chapter is NI's history happened

information_ministry

Well-known Exeweb poster
Time will tell but Americans do seem to believe they are better than anyone else. God Bless 'em

i_m

Swanaldo

Americans do seem to believe they are better than anyone else.
Really? I thought that was the English. Silly me.

fred binneys head

Poisoned chalice. Unfortunately.

Antony Moxey

No Swanny - we know, not think. ;)

urinal

In the back of the Greta Garbo home for wayward bo

Or the French, Italians, Spanish...

MikeB

I found the whole thing mind numbingly boring. So typcially USA. Over the top. So thankfully missed most of it apart from the clips on the news which went on way too long instead of leading with our own domestic news first.