• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Former Aston Villa, Southampton and Northern Ireland defender Chris Nicholl dies aged 77, He had spells at Luton, Halifax and Grimsby. He also managed Southampton and Walsall. RIP

Tim Long

Former Aston Villa, Southampton and Northern Ireland defender Chris Nicholl dies aged 77, He had spells at Luton, Halifax and Grimsby. He also managed Southampton and Walsall. RIP
I believe he's the only player to have scored twice for both sides in a single game

Matt Russell

I believe he's the only player to have scored twice for both sides in a single game
Then you haven't read the link you posted! 😂

Tim Long

Then you haven't read the link you posted! 😂
It's a fair cop! But I have been following football from when "Since the War..." was used like "in the Premiership" is used today; as if football didn't exist before that.

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

Part of that Southampton side that Lawrie McMenemy put together in the early 80's with the likes of Kevin Keegan, Mick Channon, Shilts sprinkled with a bit of foreign mystery in Ivan Golac and youth with Steve Moran and Steve Williams who eventually ended their careers down here with us. They were the equivilent of Newcastle under Keegan at that time, the great entertainers that everybody loved to watch after their own team.

DB9

Part of that Southampton side that Lawrie McMenemy put together in the early 80's. They were the equivilent of Newcastle under Keegan at that time, the great entertainers that everybody loved to watch after their own team.
Didn't they have a large amount of over 30's in that team at that time? Just seem to remember that?

grecIAN Harris

Didn't they have a large amount of over 30's in that team at that time? Just seem to remember that?
You must have got in after I edited my post. Shilts, Dave Watson, Nicholl himself possibly, Mick Channon, David Armstrong, Bally (I think), Kevin Keegan, that's just off the top of my head.

Reactions: DB9

grecIAN Harris

You must have got in after I edited my post. Shilts, Dave Watson, Nicholl himself possibly, Mick Channon, David Armstrong, Bally (I think), Kevin Keegan, that's just off the top of my head.
Just checked David Armstrong was as old as his appearance made him look (only 28) and I forgot Mick Mills and it was spread across two season 81/82 and 82/83. The second season Keegan had left for Newcastle.

Oldsmobile-88

The Saints had a great lineup with the names mentioned, finishing in the top 6 a few times with Bally & Keegan. Amazing for a club that historically struggled in the top flight.
Their best season was 1983/84 finishing runners up after Bally & Channon had left..Steve Moran, Micky Holmes, Frank Worthington, Danny Wallace. Mark Wright in defence, Ruben Agboola partnered Mick Mills at full back. It was a very settled team, Golac & Alan Curtis were good back ups.
Shilton has been a huge signing for the club, it was a surprise at the time that they could afford his wages & transfer fee. Cloughie once said that Shilts could put you in the ‘poor house’ with his wage demands but was the equivalent of a star striker

haka

A fine club player, and also a vital part of the famous Northern Ireland side at the 1982 World Cup. RIP.

Reactions: DB9