• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ribeiro

flakey pasty

I am just saying as fans let's not be making excuses.
to me it's just another weak excuse
"Excuse" is such a perjorative word.
It implies shifting "blame".
Why can't a REASON be used as a contributing factor towards losing a game be given without someone like our Richard rubbishing it as merely being an "excuse"?

Last edited:

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
"Excuse" is such a perjorative word.
It implies shifting "blame".
Why can't a REASON be used as a contributing factor towards losing a game be given without someone like our Richard rubbishing it as merely being an "excuse"?
Post 90 by 007 was my main motivation for originally posting. I just feel we lost fair and square. Otherwise it could be argued we didn't deserve some of the results we gained.

flakey pasty

I just feel we lost fair and square.
You must have been watching a different game, Richard.
Does "fair and square" include their centre half kicking one of our strikers (think it was Wheeler) in the centre circle when the ball was miles away? Or the sheer number of petty (and not so petty) fouls cynically perpetrated on our guys to break up play? A typical Westley performance.
They won. Well done them. Were they the better team? No. Did they win the game "fair and square"? No. Would I pay to watch them week in week out? No.
But at the end of the day, they scored a goal and we didn't so they get 3 points an we get nowt.
"That's football" as some would say on here.

richard_portland

M
You must have been watching a different game, Richard.
Does "fair and square" include their centre half kicking one of our strikers (think it was Wheeler) in the centre circle when the ball was miles away? Or the sheer number of petty (and not so petty) fouls cynically perpetrated on our guys to break up play? A typical Westley performance.
They won. Well done them. Were they the better team? No. Did they win the game "fair and square"? No. Would I pay to watch them week in week out? No.
But at the end of the day, they scored a goal and we didn't so they get 3 points an we get nowt.
"That's football" as some would say on here.
Hope you enjoy your sour grapes, merry Xmas.(devil)

flakey pasty

M

Hope you enjoy your sour grapes, merry Xmas.(devil)
Seems extraordinary that one can't discuss reasons for a defeat without being accused of "sour grapes".
Were you actually at the game Richard, or are you passing judgement on the evidence of 30 seconds on the FLS, a la PateUSA?
It's entirely up to you if you choose to be an apologist for Graham Westley's odious tactics. Think you might be in a very small minority among supporters of clubs, other than Satanage, in L2 though.

Last edited:

richard_portland

R
Seems extraordinary that one can't discuss reasons for a defeat without being accused of "sour grapes".
Were you actually at the game Richard, or are you passing judgement on the evidence of 30 seconds on the FLS, a la PateUSA?
It's entirely up to you if you choose to be an apologist for Graham Westley's odious tactics. Think you might be in a very small minority among supporters of clubs, other than Satanage, in L2 though.
No I wasn't there and said so further up the thread. Have already said which post it was which promted my first post. Sides will not play a passing game if they think a more direct physical game will give them a better chance. We will need to cope with it if we want to keep our form going and pitches won't be great but are no reason for defeats. The game was close and could have gone either way but Stevenage won so I have no complaints with that or with Westley.

Last edited:

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tis is loving Butterfields distribution from c/b so doubt he will move him. My money would be on Scot playing at right back but wouldn't be surprised to see us switch to a back 3 with any two from Davies, sercombe, Wheeler playing as wing backs.
So I was correct about Bennett playing right back and a right back he is certainly not, in fact the problem with Bennett is no one seems to know his best position.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
So I was correct about Bennett playing right back.
I don't think you were. It was 3 centre backs and Scot was one of them.

richard_portland

I thought it was a back four.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought it was a back four.
I definitely didn't see it like that though it quite easily could have changed throughout the match. I saw it as Scot, Oakley and Butterfield at centre half with Woodman and Alex Nicholls as wing backs.

Last edited: