• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Simple rules for a simple game

robchave

Given the inconsistency from officials these days, perhaps it's time for a total review of the rules to make things simpler. I'll start it off:
1. If you're offside - then you're offside
2. If you get in the way of an opposition player, without trying to play the ball - then it's obstruction
3. Throw-ins should be taken from where the ball went out - give the linesman a throw-down bean-bag to matk the spot

Further suggestions?

jimmy

I believe that if the opposition return the ball for throw ins/free kicks, the game must pause to allow a team to get into position. - this would stop the childish kicking away/not returning the ball.

Oh. And the game stops for head injuries. Nothing else. (Take not David De Gea).

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
This may be too complicated but I would suggest that if you are attempting to play the ball then you are involved in play.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
If a free kick or throw in is awarded, it’s an automatic yellow card for any player from the defending side to touch the ball before it is back in play. Would immediately stop players picking up the ball and jogging off with it before tossing it back to the opposition.

Agree with offside is offside, whether interfering with play or lying injured by the corner flag, you’re offside, end of.

If you kick the ball out because one of your players is injured, the opposition are under no obligation to give it back, so stop with the hysterics when they don’t.

Anyone other than the captain approaches the referee after a decision has been made and it’s an automatic yellow card, and so is bending down to pull your socks up when the referee has called you over to speak to you. It’s dissent, and therefore a booking.

denzel

Surrounding the ref results in an instant yellow for dissent

Andy_H

Given the inconsistency from officials these days, perhaps it's time for a total review of the rules to make things simpler. I'll start it off:
1. If you're offside - then you're offside
2. If you get in the way of an opposition player, without trying to play the ball - then it's obstruction
3. Throw-ins should be taken from where the ball went out - give the linesman a throw-down bean-bag to matk the spot

Further suggestions?
Totally agree with you but a couple of points ref Nos 2 & 3;
No.2 This should also cover standing directly over the ball when a free kick is given until Ref tells/asks player to 'please move back old chap'. Opposition player should make best effort to move back 10 yds/mtrs if not then advance free kick another 10 yds/mtrs, still not back then yellow card, it'll soon stop.
No. 3 As the linesman/Assistant Ref whatever they are called these days, only runs half the pitch then sadly it's totally impractical unless, you change the routine and linos run the WHOLE length of the pitch. If they changed that then there would be no reason to stop the lino positioning him/herself on the side play is going and 'blocking' and encroachment, it worked for Mr Adams!

Plus, please, please reintroduce the advance 10 yd/mtr rule, it works perfectly well in Rugby, ask Sarries in their game against Chiefs, yesterday. Sarries players gave the Ref back chat, he walked, still didn't stop, he walked again, gave a team warning, and threatened next offender with yellow card. Also, ONLY Capt can converse with Ref, that would have stopped the Cambs group intimidation from yesterday.

Whether you like Rugby or not, you have to admit they have a lot of things right with regards to respect for Ref and Officials.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Many decades ago when in my very early 20s I lived close to a football league referee who knowing my love of the game felt I should try and train to be a referee.

However reading the FA Laws Book of the game a few times was enough for me to decide that refereeing was not for me.

robchave

Time wasting -
If ref decides that a team is time wasting:
1. He warns the offending team's captain
2. Any further offence, he books the player concerned AND the captain
3. Further offence, books the player concerned AND again books the captain. The captain is off for two yellows. New captain.
4. And repeat

robchave

Totally agree with you but a couple of points ref Nos 2 & 3;
No.2 This should also cover standing directly over the ball when a free kick is given until Ref tells/asks player to 'please move back old chap'. Opposition player should make best effort to move back 10 yds/mtrs if not then advance free kick another 10 yds/mtrs, still not back then yellow card, it'll soon stop.
No. 3 As the linesman/Assistant Ref whatever they are called these days, only runs half the pitch then sadly it's totally impractical unless, you change the routine and linos run the WHOLE length of the pitch. If they changed that then there would be no reason to stop the lino positioning him/herself on the side play is going and 'blocking' and encroachment, it worked for Mr Adams!

Plus, please, please reintroduce the advance 10 yd/mtr rule, it works perfectly well in Rugby, ask Sarries in their game against Chiefs, yesterday. Sarries players gave the Ref back chat, he walked, still didn't stop, he walked again, gave a team warning, and threatened next offender with yellow card. Also, ONLY Capt can converse with Ref, that would have stopped the Cambs group intimidation from yesterday.

Whether you like Rugby or not, you have to admit they have a lot of things right with regards to respect for Ref and Officials.
Good points. With linos running the full length, they would often not be in position to give off-sides. Perhaps the home team should provide two 'runners' whose job was to drop the bean bags where the ref/lino indicated.

Oldsmobile-88

If you kick the ball out because one of your players is injured, the opposition are under no obligation to give it back, so stop with the hysterics when they don’t.
Yep....It’s up to the referee to stop the game if he suspects it’s serious.
That issue has been one of the biggest load of b0llocks that has crept into the game.

I always remember the Newcastle player lying prone in the box during the famous cup game.No one would dream of putting the ball out.He was playing everyone onside ! Allowing Peter Rogers to get the 3rd goal.
No one would have thought of moaning if it was the other way around either in those days.It was just hard luck.