• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Simple rules for a simple game

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Gary Lineker recalled how both Bould and Adams would routinely kick him hard within the first five minutes of any game. He would tell the ref that this would happen, which made absolutely no difference.

I'm sure this still happens and I think the "matter of judgement" you quote would entitle the ref to take the action I suggest
Always been the case - Roy Keene was a master of getting the first foul in. George Willis told me it was even worse in the 50s and 60s. Centre forwards and wingers got used to it - "it's a man's game", they were told.

But as we know, referees are rarely brave about this stuff.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'd add the game should have two toilet breaks each half as I'm fed up with going for a slash then hearing the bank roar and know I've missed another city goal. It's just not the same running around in the bogs trying to do my zip up while also trying to do an airplane whizz around.

tonykellowfan

Maybe you guys should watch something different if it stresses you all out so much?

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Could we add a rule that supporters must understand the wording of ‘the referee has indicated a MINIMUM of 3 additional minutes’ before being allowed in the ground?

Judging by the comments on here after some games half of Exeweb would be banned from attending SJP.

crocks

Introduce the 10 minute sin bin...

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Any player feigning injury or diving should be beaten up in the showers.

geoffwp

Depending on how sinful was the sin? I'd be there all bleedin day.

iscalad

All getting a bit complicated

andrew p long

Heavens no. Instead of players trying to get an opponent sent off they'd spend the entire game trying to persuade the ref to send an opponent into the sin bin for 10 minutes.

And then when the 10 minutes of 11v10 takes place the 10 will time waste those 10 minutes in ways that make Wycombe look rapid. A sin bin would be awful for the game as a spectacle unless/until the authorities/refs decide to enforce the rules that currently exist

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't particularly dislike any of the rules other than perhaps the offside rule needs tweaking, I used to like the daylight rule, giving advantage to the attacking player.

Regarding interfering with play, all players are interfering with play at all times, I don't understand it. If a centre forward is stood directly in between the posts 6 yards out he is affecting everything even if he doesn't get anywhere near the ball. Even a centre forward stood on the halfway line when defending a corner is interfering with play, he's causing 2 defenders to stay back and mark him.