• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Simple rules for a simple game

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
If in the first minute you deliberately clatter an attacking player who has, or might potentially have, the better of you, you should be booked

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
If in the first minute you deliberately clatter an attacking player who has, or might potentially have, the better of you, you should be booked
Depends on how bad the foul is. Many cautions are for repeated offences rather than a single bad or dangerous foul (Law 12, "persistent infringement of the Laws of the Game").

aka the referee finally lost patience. The guidance says

Referees should be alert at all times to players who persistently infringe the Laws. In particular, they must be aware that, even if a player commits a number of different offences, he must still be cautioned for persistently infringing the Laws. There is no specific number of infringements which constitutes “persistence” or the presence of a pattern – this is entirely a matter of judgement and must be determined in the context of effective game management.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Players standing in front of the ball to stop the opponent taking a quick free kick should be a booking. I know it's probably already in the rules but it's rarely enforced.

Personally I'm not too bothered by a player gaining a few yards by not taking the throw where the ball went out. If the ref stopped it everytime it happened then we'd be forever retaking throws. As long as the player hasn't gained 20 yards then just get on with it and let the game flow. I always find it amusing how irrate some fans get when a player gains 5 yards.

Last edited:

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Depends on how bad the foul is. Many cautions are for repeated offences rather than a single bad or dangerous foul (Law 12, "persistent infringement of the Laws of the Game").

Referees should be alert at all times to players who persistently infringe the Laws. In particular, they must be aware that, even if a player commits a number of different offences, he must still be cautioned for persistently infringing the Laws. There is no specific number of infringements which constitutes “persistence” or the presence of a pattern – this is entirely a matter of judgement and must be determined in the context of effective game management.
The same should go for managers then who plead with the ref and contest, quite literally, every decision that goes against them. I'm thinking the Cowley brothers would have been sent off most weeks.

geoffwp

Anyone other than the captain approaches the referee after a decision has been made and it’s an automatic yellow card...
Absolutely agree with this on Ants post. If nothing else was ever done other than this it would be a massive improvement.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I always find it amusing how irate some fans get when a player gains 5 yards.
And only when the opposition do it. Key and Hartridge are as often bad as most of our opponents.

Shortround

If a player gets injured but is fine to carry on after treatment then however long the game was stopped for is how long the player must stay off the pitch until being allowed back on by the ref! This would stop players faking injury/time wasting late on in games especially

Matt Russell

If a player gets injured but is fine to carry on after treatment then however long the game was stopped for is how long the player must stay off the pitch until being allowed back on by the ref! This would stop players faking injury/time wasting late on in games especially
Nice idea, but, as we know, officials struggle to count much beyond five.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nice idea, but, as we know, officials struggle to count much beyond five.
Unless they are from a certain place we don't mention, when it's six? ;)

arthur

Gary Lineker recalled how both Bould and Adams would routinely kick him hard within the first five minutes of any game. He would tell the ref that this would happen, which made absolutely no difference.

I'm sure this still happens and I think the "matter of judgement" you quote would entitle the ref to take the action I suggest