• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

So it could of been Burnley at home!

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
The facts are, as i said elsewhere. It wouldn't have been a sellout, it wouldn't have been shown on telly, the club doesn't budget for cup runs (luckily), we lost. Time to move on, or are we gonna get to May, crying and blubbing saying that could have been us in the final.
Sharon, I disagree with you on most of the above, but who cares? Nothing can be done about it!

I'm off to bed!

shabbashaz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sharon, I disagree with you on most of the above, but who cares? Nothing can be done about it!

I'm off to bed!
Just stating the facts Pete, nothing personal

denzel

It might be viewed by some as a "minor distraction" now, but many consider that it was a lifeline thrown to us when we drew Manchester United. I dont think we'd have been in existance now if it hadnt been for our luck in getting a trip to OT and a return match, plus TV coverage and the exposure that went with it.

To whoever thinks that "it doesnt matter, it would only have been Burnley" front, we couldnt have wished for a better tie, outside of the big three. They are a club steeped in big time history, with a fanatical following. SJP would have been a sell-out, and we might just have beaten them, or at least made more money with a sell-out replay at Turf Moor.

We f*cked up on saturday, we really did, no matter how anybody cares to view it.
Yes, the 2005 tie may have saved the club, but that was then, this is now. We don't need ties like this to survive, but it would be a bonus. Plus, 8000 at the Park is hardly 68,000 at OT.

You sure about Burnley being the biggest outside the top three? Bigger than Liverpool, Everton, Man City, Newcastle, Villa, Spurs, West Ham (I could go on...)

Time to move on.

Oh, and as for 'Replay at Turf Moor being a sell out'

FA Cup Round 3 2009 - Burnley 2 QPR 1. Attendance 3760

Last edited:

Poultice

Just stating the facts Pete, nothing personal
Actually you were stating your opinion, not facts.

As it happens I tend to agree that it wouldn't be ont'tele, but what Pete and I were harking back to was a time when any FA Cup tie was glamorous and a game against First Division opposition was to be savoured like the fine wine which you could neither find nor afford in them days. In our 24hr Premiership w*nkfest football supporters have lost something, that little bit of magic which meant you looked forward to something so much, each day hurt, strangely enough a bit like the way I am feeling about our visit to the Gas.

crocks

Actually you were stating your opinion, not facts.

As it happens I tend to agree that it wouldn't be ont'tele, but what Pete and I were harking back to was a time when any FA Cup tie was glamorous and a game against First Division opposition was to be savoured like the fine wine which you could neither find nor afford in them days. In our 24hr Premiership w*nkfest football supporters have lost something, that little bit of magic which meant you looked forward to something so much, each day hurt, strangely enough a bit like the way I am feeling about our visit to the Gas.
Thats because many of the Premiersh*te teams dont take the FA Cup seriously any more and just field their youngsters and reserves.

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
Im still angry we are out of the FA Cup and taking longer than normal to get over a defeat. I wouldve been chuffed with Burnley, ok it might not've been quite a sell out but wouldve been close to7,500/8,000 and it might not've been a live game but I reckon wouldve been an option for an extended highlights game on the ITV FA Cup show on a Saturday evening. Not to mention the prize money we wouldve got for going through to the 3rd round in the first place. All this would've been thousands of pounds in the clubs coffers and yes we may not need the money to survive but we are far from rolling it are we? Every penny counts IMO and the FA Cup was more than a mere distraction. Im gutted we are out and the feeling of deflation at full time on Saturday was the worst I had felt for quite sometime.

crocks

Im still angry we are out of the FA Cup and taking longer than normal to get over a defeat. I wouldve been chuffed with Burnley, ok it might not've been quite a sell out but wouldve been close to7,500/8,000 and it might not've been a live game but I reckon wouldve been an option for an extended highlights game on the ITV FA Cup show on a Saturday evening. Not to mention the prize money we wouldve got for going through to the 3rd round in the first place. All this would've been thousands of pounds in the clubs coffers and yes we may not need the money to survive but we are far from rolling it are we? Every penny counts IMO and the FA Cup was more than a mere distraction. Im gutted we are out and the feeling of deflation at full time on Saturday was the worst I had felt for quite sometime.
I feel your pain RAWZ. It affected me the same as well......a glimpse of Rd3 and cruelly snatched away from us.

Darren Moxey

Resigned
Spot on. My thoughts (and feelings) exactly.