• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK and European Politics 2024 Thread

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Capitalism is not working as it should, because the inequality gap is getting wider and wider. EDIT: capitalism probably is working as it should, but our governance of it is not.

Those with the most money are looking to blame anything but their own wealth. Immigration is the obvious choice.

Despite my view on this, I'm not in total denial about how mass immigration can impact on communities. It's A problem, but not THE problem of our times.
There are always many problems for any nation, ignoring one, which swathes of the west seem to be doing re immigration will only highlight this further.

Imagine, if a party said, we're stopping all non essential immigration. Then were elected. Then 200/300k immigrants were still arriving annually. This would force a change in the outlook of the nation, most likely to "retrofitting" the roles where these immigrants are required, or perhaps more importantly sorting out housing, or wages.

Spoonz Red E

Had a leaflet through asking me to vote for Kate Osmanor.

You can probably guess what I did with that.
Yes.

Evidently you read at least some of it.

Spoonz Red E

Be careful who's canvassing on your behalf:

Reform UK have condemned campaigners for the party who were recorded making racist, homophobic and Islamophobic comments while campaigning to elect Nigel Farage as MP.

Undercover filming by Channel 4 News within the Reform UK campaign in Clacton, where Farage is standing for office, also uncovered an apparent admission the party has breached the local electoral campaign spending limit in the seat.

Alongside canvassers, the report also revealed comments by several of Farage's senior aides.

Reform UK said those making "unacceptable comments" will no longer be part of Farage's campaign.

Responding to the footage Farage said: "I am dismayed by the reported comments of a handful of people associated with my local campaign, particularly those who are volunteers.

"The appalling sentiments expressed by some in these exchanges bear no relation to my own views, those of the vast majority of our supporters or Reform UK policy. Some of the language used was reprehensible."
"EXCLUSIVE: We’ve gone undercover inside Nigel Farage’s Reform UK campaign in Clacton and found evidence of anti-migrant rhetoric, homophobia and one canvasser making racist and offensive remarks. As @DarshnaSoni reports."

Grecian2K

Yes.

Evidently you read at least some of it.
Quite probably.
As he always like to remind us the omniscient Jigster has "eyes in the back of his...ermmm, lower colon"

Radio Free Skaro

Dear Trappy

No need to feel bad about yourself.

If you feel undertaxed simply send a payment to HMRC. They will be delighted to receive it. To make life easier for you here is a link

Yours aye

So an increase in our population by net 1.2M every couple of years is desirable?
What about encouraging other countries to open their borders so that more people from the UK can emigrate?

Radio Free Skaro

Just had our Labour candidate around. He got the same short thrift he had when he came around for the locals. Bleddy LTN. No idea about the economy.
What's LTN?

DB9

What's LTN?
Low Traffic Neighbourhood i think. Basically big plant pots restricting vehicles on certain roads.

Radio Free Skaro

Low Traffic Neighbourhood i think. Basically big plant pots restricting vehicles on certain roads.
Sounds quite good.

Grecian2K

What's LTN?
A town in (vowel-less) BDFRDSHR?

lamrobhero

"EXCLUSIVE: We’ve gone undercover inside Nigel Farage’s Reform UK campaign in Clacton and found evidence of anti-migrant rhetoric, homophobia and one canvasser making racist and offensive remarks. As @DarshnaSoni reports."

Channel 4 News does great coverage of the issues. No wonder the regressives are anti. Best news coverage in the UK