• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Update on the SJP works

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not everybody Geoff ;)

sign of the chimes

Give me a redeveloped/wonky St. James' Park over a Kassam Stadium any day.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I love our new ground. Real character, the largest standing terrace in English football, city centre location, inside and outside bars, compact and close to the pitch creating a good atmosphere, and even a bit of Barnet history involved. Gotta be the best ground in L2. Not the biggest, not the most modern, but the best.

Oldsmobile-88

I love our new ground. Real character, the largest standing terrace in English football, city centre location, inside and outside bars, compact and close to the pitch creating a good atmosphere, and even a bit of Barnet history involved. Gotta be the best ground in L2. Not the biggest, not the most modern, but the best.
Yep,can’t argue with any of that....Who knows,the improved facilities in the NOG may even tempt a few more into the ground & become regulars.
Just the right size to generate a good atmosphere if we can fill it to around 60% of the 8,500 capacity,which if the entertaining home form continues should not be a problem..

Ashford Grecian

This may sound a bit daft as I only get down for 6-8 home games a season but where can I get a beer inside the ground in the Big Bank? Only ever seen soft drinks + food on sale:S

Spoonz Red E

This may sound a bit daft as I only get down for 6-8 home games a season but where can I get a beer inside the ground in the Big Bank? Only ever seen soft drinks + food on sale:S
The simple answer is you can't at the moment. Red square is only accessed from the main stand and the NOG will have it's own bar.
It could be feasible to have some sort of bar in the triangle area as long as there was a high wall between it and the pitch but I don't know of any plans for one yet.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
The simple answer is you can't at the moment. Red square is only accessed from the main stand and the NOG will have it's own bar.
It could be feasible to have some sort of bar in the triangle area as long as there was a high wall between it and the pitch but I don't know of any plans for one yet.
This.

Under the Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc) Act 1985 it is illegal to drink alcohol within sight of the pitch from 15 minutes before kick of and 15 minutes after the end of the game. So there could only be a bar in the Triangle if there was a high wall and stewarding to stop people taking drinks away. Imagine if a hundred or more people crammed into that area at half time, blocking the way to the toilets and the emergency exit down the Jungle Path.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Give me a redeveloped/wonky St. James' Park over a Kassam Stadium any day.
Do you know anything about Oxford Utd supposedly quitting the Kassam Stadium due to ongoing problems with Mr Kassam the owner and former chairman?

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
One of the things that I love about our ground and it hasn't changed with the redevelopment, is that you see bits of Exeter from so many places within the ground. I used to stand where you could see the cathedral, and now in my place I can see John Lewis and I have this view of the local housing. Proper ground! :)
As a li'l tacker my dad got us up the Park early so I could stand by the rail in the cowshed opposite the 18 yard line. We watched from that position throughout the years until his health failed.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know anything about Oxford Utd supposedly quitting the Kassam Stadium due to ongoing problems with Mr Kassam the owner and former chairman?
It was brought up, either on SSN or on the Quest EFL programme*, on Saturday night.

*Which I've just reminded myself about. We're 2nd in the table, yet ours was the 5th game shown, and no mention in the roundup with the pundit of Sweeney's goal? GRRRRRRRRR.