• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Rekeem Harper (gone to Burton)

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
But Patrick in Eastenders makes a lot more appearances
I might have missed something but the last mention of Harper I can recall was him being involved in the Princesshay punch up
Princesshay ? More like the "Terrace Tear Up" or "Guildhall Gangfight" ! 😎

Alistair20000

The Grauniad surely?! But, in all seriousness, that's like comparing chalk with cheese!
Is the answer Kegs & Tisdale ?

Boyo

6k per week at Ipswich seems plausible/likely. Ipswich paid 500k as a transfer fee (for comparison Stockley was on 3.5k per week at Preston,following a 750k transfer fee)
I had heard that Stockley was was considerably more than £3.5k / week when he went to Preston.

As always, we have to take these figures with a pinch of salt.

andrew p long

I had heard that Stockley was was considerably more than £3.5k / week when he went to Preston.

As always, we have to take these figures with a pinch of salt.
You're right. I got my figures mixed up. Stockley was reportedly on 350k per year, which is (almost) 7k per week

Bridgy 81

Stockley was reportedly on 350k per year, which is (almost) 7k per week
I wonder why footballers still have their wages often described in weekly terms?
I don’t imagine Jayden used to have to go to the PNE Club Secretary’s office every Friday to be given his seven grand stuffed into an envelope each week, at least I hope not.

Colesman Ballz

I wonder why footballers still have their wages often described in weekly terms?
I don’t imagine Jayden used to have to go to the PNE Club Secretary’s office every Friday to be given his seven grand stuffed into an envelope each week, at least I hope not.
Inflationary ain't it. I recall Taggy moaning about 15 years ago that players and their agents always used rounded figures as well in the negotiation. In reality that extra £100 pw works out at £5200 a year !

tom_ecfc

If he doesn’t take it weekly i’ll happily take his pay packet 😉

Antony Moxey

It's a carry over from when football was a working man's sport. Wages were - and still are in many cases - paid weekly for the working classes (my first pay packet was indeed a brown envelope with a payslip and actual pounds and pence inside), so it made sense to quote footballers' wages the same way so a direct comparison could be made. I think it wasn't until the mid to late eighties that I went onto a monthly salary paid directly into my bank!

Also now it's nice to see that your average Premier League footballer earns more in a week than most of us do in a couple of years...

tonykellowfan

Same here. Although many people think of banks as being part of normal life, if you go back not that long ago many people didn't have a bank account and were paid weekly in cash and paid their rent in cash to the "rent man" who called every week. My dad was born into a very low status household in Manchester in 1943 that worked like this.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
As he returned to Ipswich Town?