• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Portsmouth vs Exeter Match Day - 21 Jan 2023 - Thread

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don’t know how, but I ended up listening to the Pompey commentary. Guy Whittingham was one of their commentators, not sure who the other was, but they were both amazed that no pen was given for the challenge on Jevani.
It would only have been a consolation, if scored, and probably the last kick of the game, but it couldn't really have been much more of a stonewall penalty.

exeips

I don’t know who was doing the radio commentary but maybe Sohail Sahi
I had to laugh during the second half when Sohail claimed "you can't beat listening to football on the radio!" 🤣

iscalad

I had to laugh during the second half when Sohail claimed "you can't beat listening to football on the radio!" 🤣
Indeed, bless him.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don’t know how, but I ended up listening to the Pompey commentary. Guy Whittingham was one of their commentators, not sure who the other was, but they were both amazed that no pen was given for the challenge on Jevani.
Just watched extended Pompey highlights (thanks Pompey Graham for "free" log on). They didn't include Jevani pen (surprisingly !) but away end view of challenge on White shows he was past tackler who shoved him - really doesn't matter how hard the shove pens are given for this.
If Guy W & Co say challenge on Jevani is a pen good enough for me.
UTC

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just watched extended Pompey highlights (thanks Pompey Graham for "free" log on). They didn't include Jevani pen (surprisingly !) but away end view of challenge on White shows he was past tackler who shoved him - really doesn't matter how hard the shove pens are given for this.
If Guy W & Co say challenge on Jevani is a pen good enough for me.
UTC
Surprise, surprise but Grecian I Follow highlights exactly same as Pompeys ! (What a waste of a beer to my Pompey mate !)
Only thing I noted extra was Jamal limping off at end - will Kevin Miller be on the bench on Tuesday ?
UTC

sign of the chimes

I've just watched the replay of the match back on our iFollow (or chunks of). I missed the penalty incident in real time. Having listened to how adamant Whittingham and Andy Moon (BBC Solent commentator) were that it was a penalty - and it appeared stonewall from the pictures.

I thought I'd rewind and have a listen to the away comms for reaction; they didn't even suggest it might have been a penalty despite Brown's protestations and the guilt etched on Towler's face.
Surprise, surprise but Grecian I Follow highlights exactly same as Pompeys ! (What a waste of a beer to my Pompey mate !)
Only thing I noted extra was Jamal limping off at end - will Kevin Miller be on the bench on Tuesday ?
UTC
You can watch the full match replay if you've got a login to the Pompey ifollow: and can fast forward to the penalty incident. I've viewed back this evening and was stonewall.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've just watched the replay of the match back on our iFollow (or chunks of). I missed the penalty incident in real time. Having listened to how adamant Whittingham and Andy Moon (BBC Solent commentator) were that it was a penalty - and it appeared stonewall from the pictures.

I thought I'd rewind and have a listen to the away comms for reaction; they didn't even suggest it might have been a penalty despite Brown's protestations and the guilt etched on Towler's face.

You can watch the full match replay if you've got a login to the Pompey ifollow: and can fast forward to the penalty incident. I've viewed back this evening and was stonewall.
As usual thanks for honesty SoC - hope to see you again next season.
PUP & UTC

larrywilkie

I remember that was something that the commentators said, that as soon as the challenge was made on Jevani, the Pompey player (Towler) immediately looked at the referee expecting to see the penalty given.

Rosencrantz

I'm not sure who was co-commentating yesterday but with Sohail Sahi doing the main commentary, it doesn't surprise me he didn't mention it. He doesn't see a lot of things that happens in a game.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure who was co-commentating yesterday but with Sohail Sahi doing the main commentary, it doesn't surprise me he didn't mention it. He doesn't see a lot of things that happens in a game.
Just replayed end of whole match again and definitely Whitto says "That is a penalty" for challenge on Jevani !
Sorry SoC but this is the quote from coverage.

Only good news for both camps is that Pompey Ladies stuffed the greens 3:0 - PUP Ladies !
UTC