• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club statement re fans behaviour

Ash

Oh and next time, you celebrate with both arms. Not with one arm in the air and the other holding a mobile phone. Some of the scenes i've witnessed at these play off games afterwards with fans jumping up and down whilst simultaneously recording everything has been super cringeworthy. Modern times i guess. Embarrassing though nonetheless.
O.L.D. That is all.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
I wonder if half the folks in this thread thought they'd be so curmudgeonly and out-of-touch with the yoof when they were in their teens and 20s (facepalm)

Ash

This is part of the issue John. Going to the footy nowadays for many fans (young AND old) is part enjoyment as you'd expect and part what can they capture on their phones. You see it regularly when a goal is scored or a penalty is being taken and there are simpletons behind the goals filming it instead of just being in that moment and enjoying fully the elation of that moment. How the hell anyone can truly lose themselves in celebration whilst holding a mobile aloft is beyond me and i'd go so far as to say it's impossible. It's a clear distraction from allowing oneself to be engulfed in what is happening at any given moment therefore that given moment cannot be fully and truly appreciated for what it is.

Also you have the issues that you've mentioned about people looking to get reactions from others so they can film the aftermath. In this case the Lincoln fans so not exclusively Exeter fans. It's a section of fans at every club that seem more preoccupied with documenting their away days for social media for example than just going out for the day and having a great time at the footy.
So because the world's moved on and some people choose to enjoy their football experience in a *slightly* different way, you feel the need to take exception? Sounds like you're the one with the problem.

Ash

No we're not going down any route Max so stop being professionally offended by everything. The people involved last night were all of a younger age. Sorry if that upsets you.
No, the people involved in the pitch invasion last night were of ALL ages.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Exactly this. Any tw@ts who did anything untoward with any of Lincoln's staff deserve to be punished. But anyone suggesting that running on the pitch was inherently wrong, needs to lighten up! I for one was first on.
I believe a large, exuberant furry animal was first on : and he can hardly be described as a hooligan. Lincoln are just milking this for as much as they can to justify their loss and put the boot in. Clearly their manager is not such a sweetheart as was painted.

exehausted2

Hillsborough happened because the fences had gone up to stop? Yes, pitch invasions. While the memory of that was still fresh fans recognised that part of the deal for removing them was that they behaved themselves and didn't pitch invade, for whatever reason. I suppose the "old gits" would have a greater awareness of that.

AndrewP

I hate pitch invasions with a passion, no need for them.

1) No one knows actually what to do when they get there and just generally look like tits frankly
2) It's potentially dangerous - both to players, officials and others
3) It stops the team/management staying around to thank the fans etc etc.
4) In our case the away end is at the tunnel where people tend to head to so there will invariably be flashpoints!.

I don't lack passion, I wouldn't travel the distances I do and spend the cash I do if I did - I just think there is a way to channel it so everyone gets to celebrate.

Last edited:

Grecian Max

Funny, then, that SJP never had fences.

When I was younger - they used to happen every season at the end. This now seems to be just a play off thing. It really isn’t a big deal.

manc grecian

No, the people involved in the pitch invasion last night were of ALL ages.
I don't have a problem with the pitch invasion. Read what I've written

Grecian Max

It’s clear what this is.

Away from home, in a play off final - reams of people sitting down like they were at the Chiefs. Alien, bizarre behaviour - to me. But each to their own.

Pitch invasion - I totally get it and understand it and think it’s pretty harmless. To others, it’s alien, bizarre behaviour - but of course this sub set like a good internet moan.

It’s down, it’s over, there’s nothing a frenzied reply on exeweb will do - so I reckon we crack on and discuss things like Tisdale’s surprisingly attacking appRoach yesterday. Decent stuff.