• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Supporters Trust Fans Forum - Thursday 27 July

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is this the article ?

Yes, that's the one.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Absolutely, I get that. I only referred to the FTSE 100 to make a [crude] point, which was that there are much bigger organisations than Exeter City where the main man / woman wouldn’t earn anywhere near 140k [albeit there will be a few smaller ones where they do]. For example, my last employer had a turnover of circa £40m, ie five or six times the football club’s, and 200-300 employees, but the CEO would have earned nearer half that figure.
£70k for a CEO?? That seems crazy low for that role 👀

We don't need a CEO-end of story. Will employing anyone on such a salary be cost effective?

ExmouthMart

Your CEO? Why not our CEO?
There's an article on DevonLive from Nick Hawker you should read.
I’m obviously not making myself very clear or you are not reading it right. It’s in the context of the players you have not your CEO. People don’t come to matches thinking about your CEO, they come to support and watch the team. Why am I getting pelters when I said great training ground, pitch and stadium and we want to see better players in the here and now?! Not someone to come up with endless plans, earn a fortune and leave you wondering was it worth it. All these additional people are a drain on your finances year after year but if we can afford them and they bring a noticeable growth in the Club fair enough. So is it unreasonable to question expenditure on people in background roles when the general consensus seems to be we are not replacing players who left with similar quality or better?!
Thanks for the referral to Devon live regarding Nick Hawker. I did watch the YouTube video. Was interesting to listen to him but I couldn’t help thinking looking at him that he had just come in from the garden after tending his prize vegetables ready for the village fete.

Memphis09

There is probably a good reason why they are are standard answers and it tends to be that they are the answers to the questions asked.
Yes but they are still standard answers

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
£70k for a CEO?? That seems crazy low for that role 👀
‘Nearer half’ [of £140,000] takes you as high as £104,999.

lamrobhero

I do not know what a CEO does.
I am disturbed by the idea promoted by some that ECFC Trustees need particular skillsets.
If the appointment of a CEO makes that idea less significant then I am all for it.

lamrobhero

Seb Coe always tells the story of going out for a long distance run on Xmas Day when it was cold and chucking it down. Just because he thought Steve Ovett would be doing the same and thinking Seb wouldn't be. As it turned out Ovett wasn't, but Seb didn't learn that until years later 🙂.
Exactly on his own initiative NOT because of his manager.
Stanley Matthews initiated his own diet / training regimes.

Bridgy 81

I do not know what a CEO does.
I am disturbed by the idea promoted by some that ECFC Trustees need particular skillsets.
If the appointment of a CEO makes that idea less significant then I am all for it.
My understanding is that the Board of Directors in an organization set it’s aims and objectives (strategy).
They then may decide to appoint a CEO who’s main role is to oversee the organization on a day to day basis and ensure the strategy is successfully delivered to the Board’s requirements and to keep them informed of progress.
I imagine the CEO is also responsible for ensuring the organization complies with all necessary legal requirements.
Presumably a CEO is only appointed if the organization is sufficiently large and/or complex to warrant one.

Cygnus

Do we really need the expense of a CEO? That is the question and we have to trust the likes of Nick Hawker and the board that we do and that he will add value.

However I’m not convinced that Jeremy Tipper is the man for the job, as when you check out his work history it doesn’t look that impressive and seems to consist of directorship on lots of web based companies that don’t look like very big concerns and a couple also don’t seem to exist anymore. I hope I’m wrong though and he does make a real difference behind the scenes As CEO.