• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC Vs Derby County FC - Matchday Thread

Memphis09

Where have I written him off?
Saying he is the same as Seymour who was rubbish
Cox is going to score goals for us just needs a bit more time to develop

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
What do you expect from clowns who start singing "your county is red" at Derby County fans (from Derby, the county town of Derbyshire) with reference to Nottingham Forest (from Nottingham, the county town of Nottinghamshire)?🤔
In fairness, City fans have been known to sing 'this county is red' when playing Argyle – and, as we all know, Plymouth is in Cornwall! ;)

Memphis09

The energy and enthusiasm that Borges came onto the pitch with should be inspiring to any of our academy players. He looked great.
Thought when I saw him pre season he looked an excellent prospect
Think he could be pushing for a place in the squad next season

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
How anyone is casting judgment on a teenager making their first league start up against Curtis Davies is beyond me.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
How anyone is casting judgment on a teenager making their first league start up against Curtis Davies is beyond me.
Second league start, first at home, but point taken.

Memphis09

First half we had a good tempo, but as per recent games lacked a cutting edge up top, although you have to feel for the inexperienced Cox playing alongside Scott. We edged the first half.

Second half we started slowly and then lost our way. Just as the game drifed away from us we had an excellent last ten minutes and deserved and equaliser. Borges looks like he could well be the real deal, Coley certainly doesn't.

One of the best games Keys had in a while.
Key actually lifted a cross then we score
He did have a good game

Memphis09

Given the players missing I thought that was a good performance. Three mysteries.

1. Why did Key and Kite play in eachother's positions?

2. Why did we continually hit high balls to Scott and Cox, neither of whom won a header all night?

3. Did Josh Coley actually touch the ball? He made lots of runs but no-one ever passed to him. Why not?

Sparkes deserves a contract. I thought Archie was superb at the base of midfield - he's clearly learning from Mcdonald
Archie was only good when he moved back to a more central role other than that no

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
In fairness, City fans have been known to sing 'this county is red' when playing Argyle – and, as we all know, Plymouth is in Cornwall! ;)
Hence the line "**** off back to Cornwall" which makes the song doubly right. So in fairness, they were well off the mark last night. I initially thought of Tamworth to let them off the hook but I think Tamworth is in Staffs.

Memphis09

I'm not sure that McDonald is the answer. Since joining in January, I suspect that he's missed more games through injury, than played (although I might be wrong and that's simply my impression). At his age, I am concerned that his ability to overcome niggly injuries will be more difficult than that of a younger player. He clearly is very good player at league 1 level, when fit, but I'm not sure that it's a risk worth taking for next season, when our playing budget will again be one of the lowest in the league. If his fitness was guaranteed, it wouldn't be an issue and I'd sign him as soon as possible but there is a big question mark for me about the number of games we might get out of him.
I would sign him
Get him fit in preseason
Agree he probably will not play all games but use his coaching skills as well

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Arthur's post and the mention of Sparkes - for me last night epitomised why I am so torn on him, and if we are to stick with a 3-5-2 (or derivatives thereof) his days may be numbered. I'm pleased he scored, and he showed other signs of attacking prowess, but his defensive ability remains a massive let down. The Derby second came down our left, and it was only as McGoldrick was pulling the trigger that Sparkes ambled into the camera shot. I've often torn my hair out at his lack of urgency in getting back after an attack breaks down.

While Key adapted quickly to life as a wing-back, it seems Sparkes has struggled to adapt and remains a winger playing out of position.